If you have a juvenile or adult special needs child, you understand how much extra help they need in life. What would happen to them if you die? As with most advanced Life Insurance planning, the first step in special needs planning is to meet with an attorney. You’ll need several documents such as trusts and powers of attorney which should be completed by a professional.

The Life Insurance policy will provide funding to care for your child upon your death. At that time, the insurance benefits will pour into the trust. Typically you would buy permanent/Whole Life insurance for this purpose if at all affordable, in order to ensure that there will always be insurance in place regardless of when you die. Term Life Insurance policies can expire at inconvenient times.